Tuesday 15 November 2011

5 boys in dresses.

It was one of my favourite things to do; show some unsuspecting person a photo of a Visual Kei boy, wait for the person say "oh I like her dress/makeup/hair", and then reply "yes, he's pretty isn't he?". Ah, when did I get sucked in to such a fandom as Visual Kei? The music can sometimes be so painful to listen to if you chance upon the wrong band...but seeing these beautifully made-up boys is what satisfies me. Sadly, the number of boys in big dresses and big hair and big makeup is declining, so most of these pictures are from 'the good old days'.
Here be five boys that people often mistake for girls, until they hear them speak.



1. Rame (ex. Vidoll)


Rame was the bassist for the disbanded Vidoll. They were one of the first VK bands I listened to, along with Madeth Gray'll and Dir en grey (who can't even be classified as VK anymore!). He was the token 'girl' character of the band, though tbh he didn't do a very good job in some photoshoots...


2. Bou (ex. Ancafe)


Bouuuuu!! Such a cutie. Former guitarist for Ancafe, he left the band a few years back to study or something like that. Ancafe is currently on hiatus I believe. Bou was also the token girl in his band, and he was a damn good one. Honestly, I think it takes a real man to wear pink and act cute all the time.


3. Toshiya (Dir en grey)


For laughs and to procrastinate, I often go through my Toshiya folder (containing between 500 - 600 photos of him alone) to see the transformation he's undergone. He looks just as good in a wifebeater and ripped jeans as he does in a dress. This is an extremely old photo, but one of my favourites. Heck, it was the first photo of him I ever got.


4. Hizaki (Versailles)


The rest of the band has been known to call him the Princess. And he's got mad guitar skillz to boot. Unlike the previous three, Hizaki still wears those lovely gowns when he performs. I'm surprised he doesn't suffocate in his costumes actually. Good on you, Ohime-sama.


5. Mana(-sama) (Moi Dix Mois)


And then we have the almighty Mana. He's well-known for pioneering the Elegant Gothic Lolita/Aristocrat branch of Lolita fashion, and for being the most popular candidate to be paired with Gackt back in their Malice Mizer days (they did look good together though). Regardless of whether he's wearing women's clothes or men's, he looks stunning and commands attention. Oh, what I wouldn't do to own a fraction of his wardrobe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Mana & Toshiya too....in their earlier times...very glad to hear someone does too :]<3