Tuesday 24 April 2012

yanaka etc.


During my time in Tokyo, I stayed at Annex Katsutaro Ryokan in Yanaka. It's roughly a ten-minute stroll from Nippori station and is close to pretty much whatever basic stuff a tourist needs - combinis, small cafes/eateries and souvenir shops. It was decently priced too; every other time I've visited Japan, I stayed at the Hilton in Shinjuku, and though the ryokan didn't have the same level of pomp, the level of comfort was on par. The staff speak good English too, which saved me from utilising my terrible Japanese.
                                                                             



It was my first time staying at a ryokan so I made sure to keep my expectations realistic, but I have to say I was extremely impressed by the quality of my rooms. I had to be moved to a different room after a few nights due to a previous booking, but my new room was just across the hallway, so I wasn't bothered at all. I was provided with all the essentials - a cosy futon, towels, a heat pump, yukata, cups and jug, hair dryer, and toiletries which were replaced/replenished daily.


Of course, it was nice to have a TV as well. Somehow I really enjoy watching TV in foreign countries. A lot of K-dramas were on. I have to say, I watched more K-dramas than anime while I was there. O_o

 



Down the road and around the corner from the ryokan I had my first experience with Japanese fast food. Despite it being my third time in Japan, I had yet to try it. It's basically like a vending machine - you put money into the machine, press the button of what you want to eat, take the ticket and sit down. Then a waitress serves you tea and collects your ticket, and your food comes out in a few minutes. 


It's decent food too - this pic below is of my 390yen (5.90NZD) kakiage udon.




There's a little small shopping street in Yanaka that sells souvenirs and a lot of food and drink - most notably stands that sell yakitori, gyoza, and croquettes. There was also a stall that sold gigantic bento for 300yen and under.

Bao-gyoza

The street was also known for the small population of stray cats that wandered the area. Somehow, I've always loved cats, so I was right at home in this part of town.
One particular shop sold cake stick things that were meant to resemble cats' tails.

 

Flavours on the left are Milk (dark chocolate cake dipped in white chocolate) and Sakura (baked with cherry blossom petals, with a ribbon of white bean paste inside). On the right is Custard (with custard cream ribbon inside).

 Nyan.



The bonus of my visit being around this time of year was that I was just in time to see the sakura trees in full bloom. Actually, I was told they were a week late. Probably waiting for me. XD
On the way to/from Nippori station, I was always greeted with this scenery:

Yeah, that's a cemetery. Across the road from 7-Eleven, no less.

 
It kinda reminds me of Dunedin, where cherry blossoms do actually survive.


 Last of all, there's the Evil Seal Shop where you can buy your own personalised hanko featuring one of their gazillion designs for 2000yen (30NZD). It was a bit much for a stamp, but I got one anyway despite being a real cheapskate. Waifu got one for himself too.

Inside the tiny shop, the walls are decorated with the various designs you can choose from.



Ta-dah~ After about 20 minutes of waiting, my hanko was ready. I went with my artist pen-name 'kmlo2', because 'Rhapsody' would've been too long. From herein I'll be using it on my artwork and stuff. :3



No comments: