Wednesday 25 April 2012

akihabara.

That's Akihabara station. I know it's not obvious, but that's what it is.

This one deserves a whole post to itself. We probably spent more time here than any other place in Tokyo. The bulk of the stuff I brought back home was also stuff I either bought from a store in Akiba or won from a UFO catcher or Gashapon machine. 





I know it shouldn't surprise me, but AKB48 is reeeeeeeally popular. I personally think it's stupid to have so many girls in a group. They can't always appear at a performance all at once, and they will get like, half a line to sing in each song. Plus I don't find any of their faces all that memorable. SNSD was bad enough with nine members and only one or two that can really sing.





Enough with the rant though. The majority of our time in Akiba was spent in the arcades. Waifu was really into the Gundam Tryage game, probably since it combined a TCG and video games - his two poisons of choice.


 


My poison, on the other hand, was cute stuff. By the way, that Jinguji Ren phone case cost 600yen for us to win from a UFO machine...would've cost around 1000yen to buy. *smug*


Potato spots a friend/rival/impostor...except that Bepo has teeth...



...And we both kinda have a weak spot for model kits. Below are the three variations of the Liger Zero from Zoids: New Century....




...And the five gundams from Gundam Wing.








I also couldn't resist posting this pic here. At home, our halloween costumes are witches or goblins. But why be a witch or goblin when you could be Frieza from Dragonball Z?


Last but not least, the food was great. Dinners here were all pretty cheap. 130yen per plate for conveyor belt sushi? Yes please.


This is real sushi. Minimal rice and a huge chunk of fish. Ideal for someone like me, who loathes rice and veggies. (It's surprising that I have normal gastrointestinal health, really.)





See these pastries and sweets? Yes, I stood here for the longest time trying to decide which one(s) to buy. In the end I settled for a small box of macarons only. That was one thing I regretted.








Part Zero: Over the Hills and Far Away
Part One: On the Road and in the Sky
Part Two: Yanaka etc.
Part Three: Shibuya, Meiji-jingu, Harajuku
Part Four: Asakusa, Ginza, Odaiba
Part Five: Disneyland

No comments: